The Industrial Engineering Curriculum
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
The BS Industrial Engineering Program aims to produce graduates who:
1. manage and lead public and private organizations in designing, implementing, and improving processes and systems
2. pursue entrepreneurial and technology-based innovation ventures
3. engage in lifelong learning through professional practice, research, and graduate studies
Program Learning Outcomes
A graduate of the BS Industrial Engineering should have the following ability to:
Common to all programs
- Articulate the latest developments in their specific field of practice.
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing using both English and Filipino languages.
- Work effectively and independently in multi-disciplinary and multicultural teams
- Demonstrate professional, social and ethical responsibility, especially in practicing intellectual property rights and sustainable development
- Preserve and promote “Filipino historical and cultural heritage”
Common to all engineering programs
- Apply knowledge of mathematics and science to solve engineering problems
- Design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- Design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability, in accordance with standards
- Recognize the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- Understand contemporary issues
- Use techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- Apply knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments
- Specific to BS Industrial Engineering (adapted from CHED Draft of PSG for BSIE)
- Design, develop, implement, and improve integrated systems that include people, materials, information, equipment and energy
- Perform services in the form of analysis, design, and implementation of work standards, statistical process control systems, production plan and material control systems, manufacturing and service facilities, operations research models for production and operations, and information systems
- Contribute to nation building by engaging in research and other forms of creative work geared towards the improvement of the industrial engineering field.
Specific to the University of the Philippines
- Lead with honor and excellence in public service and in fields of practice
The BSIE curriculum is consisted of courses aimed to hone the critical thinking, analysis, and the overall personality of the student. Furthermore, the curriculum has four major areas of study namely: Operations Research and Management Science, Production Systems, Information Systems, and Ergonomics or Human Factors Engineering. These four major areas of study are aimed to produce quality industrial engineers by making the decision making capacity, management ability, innovation and technical skills of the student be suitable for what is needed when they are already outside the University. The BSIE curriculum moulds the IE that can accommodate the constant changes in the needs and wants of the people while making profit for the company he/she works for without compromising the quality and speed of the products and services produced. The department has recently released the BSIE 2018 curriculum which caters to the changes brought by the K-12 system.